We are preparing to train a new group of volunteer docents. If you are interested in learning more about this vibrant community within our museum, please join us on Sept. 22, 2021 at 10:30 a.m. to hear about the program. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
Docents lead tours for groups of all ages, from K-12 students to adults. They introduce visitors to The James Museum’s collection, making works of art meaningful and accessible. Docent candidates of all backgrounds and abilities are welcome. No prior training in art history is required. Below are the benefits and requirements for joining the program.
Join the Team
Click below to complete the volunteer application.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com or 727.892.4200 ext. 1021
Educational & Social Enrichment
- Ongoing learning opportunities with the museum’s curatorial and education staff, as well as visiting artists and scholars
- Access to the museum’s private research library
- Annual appreciation events, social gatherings, and field trips
- Free garage parking while on duty
- Volunteer lounge with lockers
- After leading 5 tours, docents are awarded a free individual membership with an option to upgrade by paying the difference. Memberships remain valid and are renewed annually for all active volunteers.
Museum Admission Tickets
- At the end of every calendar year, docents are awarded museum admission tickets based on the number of service hours completed during the previous year.
- Criminal background check (to be completed during training period)
- One-time fee of $125 (covers training materials, background check, parking pass, ID badge, nametag, and other incidentals)
- Active e-mail account. This is our primary method for communicating important information.
- Access to a computer/wifi-enabled device. Internet access is needed to sign up for assignments through our cloud-based Volunteer Information Center
- Complete training requirements and adhere to the museum’s policies and procedures
- Participate in ongoing training opportunities and docent meetings
- Demonstrate a cooperative, friendly, professional manner when dealing with museum visitors, staff, and fellow volunteers.
- Lead a minimum of two tours a month